Why choose a certified financial planner? | Community
Most people think of all financial planners as “certified”, but that’s not always the case. Many use the title “Financial Planner”. However, only about 1 in 4 * people have met the education, experience and training requirements of the Certified Financial Planner Board and can display the CFP® mark. Choosing a CFP® professional ensures that you are working with someone who possesses a high level of competence, ethics and professionalism. And because they are held to a standard of fiduciary care when providing financial planning services, a CFP® professional is expected to act in your best interests.
Under the Code of Ethics of the Chartered Financial Planner, a CFP® professional must:
• Act with honesty, integrity, competence and diligence.
• Act in the best interest of the client.
• Be careful.
• Avoid or disclose and manage conflicts of interest.
• Maintain confidentiality and protect the confidentiality of customer information.
• Act in a manner that positively reflects the profession of financial planning and CFP® certification.
Financial planning is a dynamic process. Your financial goals may change over the years due to changes in your lifestyle or circumstances such as an inheritance, a career change, a marriage, the purchase of a home, or a growing family. When you begin to think about how best to manage your financial future, you should feel confident knowing that with a CFP® professional, you are working with someone who is committed to providing you with the highest level of financial planning.
A qualified CFP® professional will guide you through the 7 steps of the financial planning process, including:
1. Understand your personal and financial situation
2. Identify and select your goals
3. Analyze your current action plan and potential alternatives
4. Develop financial planning recommendations
5. Present the recommendations
6. Implement the recommendations
7. Monitor your progress and update the financial plan as needed
For more information on the benefits of working with a CFP® professional, call Tod Shoffler, CFP®, Wealth Advisor at Crest Wealth Management at 609-522-6098 or email [email protected] With over 20 years of financial planning experience, Tod can walk you through the path to financial freedom.
* Cerulli Associates 05/21/2019